Tuesday, January 31, 2012

JANUARY WALK IN THE WOODS, part 2 of 4


Yellow dock seeds. I harvest these in the early fall to put in infusions for immune system. They are easy to

harvest, you just slide your hand up the stem to collect them. However, there tend to be a lot of spiders on

the stems, might want to give the branch a shake first.



These 2 photos were taken in the summer. I did see several eagles today though, just didn't get a picture of them. They seemed to be doing a lot of aggressive flying around after each other today & later in the day 2 of them were chasing each other through my yard.



Wild roses & hips. I generally harvest the hips in the fall, they are pretty soggy at this time of year.




Rose hips. I actually prefer the rose petals over the hips. I make a rose petal tincture to use for pain relief that tastes wonderful.





Holly & its red berries.




Leave & a bit of ice. It is just cold enough for there to a bit of ice, although our snow from last week is gone.




Yellow cedar & snow from mid January. We went up on the trails & looked at all the little animal footprints in the snow. An easier way to know what kind of animals are walking about in the woods -- when you can see their footprints.





Red Cedar -- Thuja. I use the ends of the branches to make a tincture for immune system.



Part 3 of this January walk in the woods will be posted in a few days.


If you have questions or comments on herbs, plants & remedies, please join my herbal forum.