Wednesday, March 7, 2012

JANUARY WALK IN THE WOODS, part 4 of 4



This is Oregon Grape, it grows everywhere here. I use the roots for tincturing for liver toning. And the berries are really tart, great for eating if you are on a long walk & thirsty.




Pearly Everlasting. I haven't used this plant too much, it can be useful for allergies, and lung & throat problems. It doesn't smell like much either. Its flowers already feel dried when still on the plant, that's why it is called 'everlasting'. I am just trying some in my herb infusion this morning.



Salal grows everywhere here. I love its zigzag branches. Just discovered it works quite well in infusions for

irritated bladder, or a slight infection of the bladder. Doesn't taste like much. Seems to work really well. The

berries taste really good, they aren't too juicy & tend to dry out after reaching their peak. One of my students 

noticed they have an immediate effect on soothing her kidneys. So I've used the leaves in an infusion for 

soothing the kidneys as well.




Snowberry




Squirrel at the feeder. We have 3 squirrels that come to the feed, which keeps my dogs busy.




St. John's wort in winter.




Tansy flower in winter. This plant has really interesting flat yellow disks for flowers.




Towhee on the cherry tree by the feeder. These guys nest near us every year, so we have had more & more over the years. We still have an Anna's hummingbird a the feeder too.




If you have questions or comments on herbs, plants & remedies, please join my herbal forum.