Thursday, November 3, 2011

Green Smoothies

I am one of those people who walks around with a mason jar full of green smoothie, or green goo as a friend calls it. It seems to fasinate or horrify people who see it.

Some even try it. My niece was visiting recently and watched me make this green masterpiece every morning & decided to try it. As we drove around to beaches & trails & farmer's markets she also carried the mason jar of green stuff.

Such a great way to have a breakfast in a jar that gives you a lot of nutrition and keeps you full until lunch, but more importantly doesn't weigh you down & make you sleepy.



What to put in your smoothie:

some sweet fruit to make it taste good, frozen if that's all that's available

a banana or even a 1/2 an avocado if you need it to be really filling

a bunch of lettuce greens - like 1/2 a blenderful, this ensures you are getting your leafy greens & provides lots of protein & nutrients

I use water in mine, you could use some yogurt or almond milk

I add most of my supplements in here too, experiment with with, some people don't like the taste of B vitamins or other supplements, I am fine with it. I find that this way I am not having to swallow a lot of vitamins and I get a slower steady supply of them as I sip my shake.